Monday, August 13, 2012

Field sketching and painting at Lewis Ginter

     Today me, my wife our daughter Lily, her bother Jeremy, sister-in-law Lacey, their daughter Madeline, new baby Juliette, cousin DeeDee, and DeeDee's son Noah all took a morning trip to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. This is such a lovely place for people of all ages to enjoy. There are lovely sites to see at every turn, and the garden is carried though the seasons of the year making for new surprises with each visit. I brought my portable water colors (a set called the cottman serried by winsor newton) a water-brush and a pencil to take quick studies and field sketches of the various flora an scenery. 

     The orchid room at the green house proved an excellent place filled with vibrant hues of all variety and exotic plants in so many shapes, size an complexities. As I walked around sketching and blocking in colors from my pain pots on to the pages I felt a joy I haven't experience with my art in some great while. It was wonderful being able to not tie myself down or time myself when recording observations of the subject matters I saw. Jeremy took many complex and wonderful shots of the great varieties of flowers in that room as well as on the kids playing in the children's garden and playhouses. 

     Noah and Madeline loved playing with him making up games and little club meetings racing around the paths. Even though I was only there for a brief time before work it was well worth the trip, and I feel it gave me a pleasant focus for the day. I will be posting the progressions of my watercolor studies from scratch to finish ASAP. Stay tuned thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment